Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Saying Goodbye


This post is incredibly hard for me to write. I've started it about 5 times in my head and 10 more times on here. (In fact, it's been sitting in my drafts for about a week now.) Last Monday, the world lost an amazing woman. A wife, mother, grandmother, friend. Saying good bye to her was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. 

It was even harder for my grandpa. That's them up there. They'd been married for sixty years this past June. I can't even fathom spending 60 years of my life with one person. Their souls were inextricably linked. They didn't even have to speak to one another anymore to know what they were thinking. To say he is heartbroken is an understatement. My grandpa called my grandma her bride until her very last day. That kind of love just doesn't happen anymore. 

Instead of being sad (I had my fill of that last week), I want to celebrate her life in this post. I want to always remember her how she was before she got sick. How she was when she was happy and full of life and healthy.

 How her eyes would light up when one of her four cherished grandchildren walked into the room. How she would always bring me exactly 2 chocolate covered graham crackers up to bed with me when I stayed over at my house. How she hung a pair of my toddler shoes from her rear view mirror in every car she and my grandpa had since the time I was born. That pair of shoes still hangs in their car today, 24 years later. 

I am so glad she got to see me in my wedding dress and meet my husband. I am so glad I got to see her one last time in May and talk to her shortly before she left us. 

I'll never listen to bagpipes the same way again. We love you grandma and we miss you more than words can express. 

No comments:

Post a Comment