Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Summertime in Northern Michigan

                It's been a few years since I've been able to vacation up north and I have missed it so much. Growing up it just wasn't summer unless we spent a week or so up north in Traverse City, Glenn Arbor, Silver Lake or Bellaire. Between college, moving to Utah, and just general 'life' getting in the way, I've missed summers spent on Lake Michigan.  



               

I also realized while I was gone that Michigan's concept of 'up north' is something uniquely Michigan and it's part of what makes me love this state so much. I've come to believe that people from Michigan have a certain pride about being from Michigan, a pride that I just don't think other people have. 

Going 'up north' is quintessential to the Michigan experience and I'm glad I had the opportunity to share that with my husband and baby. E won't remember his first swim in Glenn Lake, his first glimpse of Lake Michigan, or watching the sun go down on the dock while daddy rocks him to sleep. But we sure will. 

                

I've found that the memories made and the experiences we have as a family are what keep us going from one thing to the next. Life isn't always good, but there's always a possibility of taking a weekend off and heading up to the lake. And the possibility is what makes the monotony worth it. 

               

We made the most of our week, that's for sure. We went into Traverse City, Glenn Arbor, Leelanau, and Suttons Bay. We shopped at a lot of old familiar stores (and some new ones too). We went to Boone Docks for dinner a few more times than should be allowed. In general, we just relaxed and let the lake living seep into our pores. 

               
             

                   

                            

After our week was over, I didn't want to go back. I didn't want to leave the simplicity of what being up north inevitable brings you. The lake sunsets. The fresh ice cream. The humid days that you can only stand because there's a lake right outside your door and you can go swimming at the drop of the hat. These memories and experiences that define what summertime in Northern Michigan is part of the reason I was so excited to move back home. There is no place quite like it anywhere else. 

I hope you're enjoying your summer! Just remember there's always a possibility of a lake escape somewhere in your future. 





No comments:

Post a Comment